Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A few small things

I've had a lot of interesting snippets going through my head. More approprite for my non-existent twitter feed than my blog. Here's a best of compilation.

Are you not someone?
The husband of a husband wife pair attends an in house seminar and the dinner afterwards. His work is different from the speaker's topic, but the wife's work is related.
"Why's N. not here?"
"Someone has to take care of the kids."


The times, they have a chang'd.
My mother is visiting this week. We've been talking about the differences in how hard it was for her to keep in touch with her parents after she emigrated versus how easily we will be able to keep in touch after we emigrate. Epsilon is used to having virtual dinner guests. I'm currently listening to the State of the Union on line because I missed it last night. This is a great time to live.


Shame.
I heard this story yesterday, about Brookhaven National Lab's tritium leak. It's a few months late, but unlike the earlier article in the second link, the report I heard came at the issue from an extreme rise in certain soft tissue cancers, like rhabdomyosarcoma in the towns surrounding BNL. I haven't had a chance to look into this in any sort of detail. I'll blog about it when I do. But my gut reaction is that of shame on behalf of the greater scientific community. We need or National Labs. But our National Labs need to be good neighbours. Otherwise, who do we serve?

No comments:

Post a Comment