Thursday, January 19, 2012

Overheard

Some people complain that cell phones force other people to listen in on completely trivial conversations of complete strangers. Every once in a while though, I get to eavesdrop on a couple that are so stable in their relationship that the banality of their conversation makes me smile

The Business of Living*

Did you drill the holes in the chairs?
...
Good, I know you were worried about that.
....
Are you coming down with a cold?
...
There are nettles in the pot.
...
I had a great day, I went to some museums.
...
I took some pictures of things I think you would have liked.
...
The week's almost over.
...
Did you get my text with the flight number.
...
I'll see you the day after tomorrow.
...
It's not the best way to spend a Friday night.
...
I love you.



*Many apologies to my house guest for my eavesdropping on, adapting, and then publicizing her intimate conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment