Thursday, January 12, 2012

Twelve years and I'm still not used to his leaving.

I don't know that I will be able to write a post after my partner leaves, so this is left scheduled just in case. From Khalil Gibran's The Prophet, his chapter on Joy and Sorrow:
Then a woman said, "Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow."
      And he answered:
      Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
      And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
      .....

      When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
      When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
......     

      Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
      Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
      Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
      When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.
This, too, will pass, I know. Just as the glorious six months we had together as a family slipped quickly through our fingers, this absence, too, will slip quickly by.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. I know that both times my hubby and I had to do the long distance thing, I found the first week the hardest and from there it somehow got easier. Thank goodness for your recent good news. Here's hoping the next months are busy and fly by. Maybe you and Epsilon can do something extra fun this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Canuck, the separation is always worse in the beginning. Then you get into routine, you get busy... Still hard, but you get more entertained!

    Here's hoping that you get your strength back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your support. As I said, this post was written before my partner got on the plane. So far, with Epsilon being what he is, it's actually being less hard than other long term separations we've had. I haven't had time to miss him yet. I worry about a lot of things, but that's for the future. So far, things are going well.

    ReplyDelete