Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What a difference a year makes

Last year, on this date, I wrote that I had just accepted my current position. I am still trying to see if language like that referred to in that post is just a sign of how things are done here, with no unconscious sexist overtones. My efforts in cultural understanding are not being helped by the grad student down the hall who is also having a hard time adjusting culturally, and keeps telling me about the insults she has borne from the men she meets.

A year ago Friday, my partner left for University E. I was not a happy camper, though comparing it with the giddyness of today/last night the Gibran quote about joy and sorry being closely linked seems more apt now.

It helps that my partner and I are much better poised in terms of our research. It helps that Epsilon is older, and therefore easier to single parent. It helps that the commutes keep shrinking, and now it only involves several long train rides. It helps that we don't have to worry about money any more.

I have not accepted as yet. I am waiting for a response to one e-mail I sent last night. I think I know what the e-mail will say. And then I get to think about visas. I have never been so happy to worry about immigration issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment